In honour of National Tequila Day, I wanted to share my favourite margarita recipe with you! This recipe is for Kitchen Bulldog's Lime Basil Margarita. It's a fine balance of sweet and sour, along with the option to kick it up a notch with some jalapenos.
There are two important things to note when making margaritas:
1. Use 100% agave tequila
2. For the love of all things margaritas, do not use a store-bought mixer.
- Juice of 1½ limes
- 1-ounce agave tequila
- 1-ounce simple syrup
- 2-3 basil leaves rolled between palms of your hands
- 1-2 very thinly sliced jalapeño segments, optional
- lime wedges
- coarse sea salt for lining the glass
- Cut a small slit in the middle of a lime wedge and rub around the rim of your glass. Then dip the rim into coarse sea salt, keeping in mind the bigger the salt crystals, the more likely they will drop down the side of the glass. Then fill the glass with ice.
- In the cocktail shaker: fill with ice and add lime juice, tequila, simple syrup, crushed basil leaves and jalapeño (if desired).
- Cover and shake the mixture until the cocktail shaker is frosted-about 30 seconds. Pour into the prepared glass. Garnish with a basil leaf, lime wedge (and sliver of jalapeño, if desired).
- Servings: 1
- Ready in: 5 Minutes